Jacob C. Esparza
Jacob C. Esparza
P (713) 706-4904
F (713) 953-9470
Mr. Esparza handles complex commercial litigation involving all aspects of the energy, marine and transportation industries, including disputes arising from contractual risk allocation issues. He assists major and independent E&P companies and contractors with drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements with an emphasis on allocating risks associated with energy development. These efforts are coupled with representing entities engaged in regulatory investigations of offshore energy industry activities.
In addition, Mr. Esparza represents U.S. and London Market insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation relating to various first- and third-party coverages, such as energy package, commercial property, general liability, business interruption and cargo. In 2014, he was seconded to a leading global specialty lines insurer. There, he gained extensive knowledge of the U.S. and London Markets by handling a wide range of North American property, energy, aviation and casualty claims. He frequently advised on policy wording and the impact of coverage concerns on general business practices and extra-contractual obligations and continues those efforts in his daily practice.
Since 2014, Mr. Esparza has been named by Super Lawyers Magazine to its "Texas Rising Stars" List for Energy and Natural Resources, Insurance Coverage and Transportation/Maritime practices. Compiled through peer nomination and research, only the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in Texas under the age of 40 receive this distinction. In 2016, Mr. Esparza was accepted into the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), which is an organization comprised of leaders in the insurance and corporate defense bar. FDCC membership is selective and by invitation to those who have been judged by their peers to have achieved professional distinction. In addition, after reviewing numerous nominations of attorneys under 40, the Texas Lawyer recently announced and honored Mr. Esparza as a 2016 Lawyer on the Rise based on his accomplishments and contributions to the practice of law and his community. Benchmark Litigation also named Mr. Esparza to its inaugural Under 40 Hot List meant to honor the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished legal partners of the age of forty or younger.
Mr. Esparza received his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center in 2005 and a business management degree from Texas A&M University in 2002. He is admitted to practice law in Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Districts of Texas, and the District of Colorado. Mr. Esparza is a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, the Texas Association of Defense Counsel, National Academy of Jurisprudence and the Houston and Federal Bar Associations. He also is an active member in the Texas State Bar Insurance Law Council: Digital Media Committee.
- Deep Offshore Technology International – 2015
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) Construction Law, Coverage Trends Affecting the Defense and Defense Obligations – 2015
- EUCI, Oil and Gas Cybersecurity Conference – 2015
- Cybersecurity Roundtable: Regulatory and Risk Update for the Energy & Marine Industries – 2015
- Driven eDiscovery Speaker Series: Proactively Preparing for a Government Investigation – 2015
- Decomworld’s 6th Annual Decommissioning and Abandonment Summit – Expanded Regulatory Enforcement and the Impact on Risk Allocation – Are Your Contracts Ready for the New Normal? - 2014
- EUCI, BSEE Investigations 101 - 2014
- EUCI, Contract Risk Management for Upstream Oil & Gas - 2013
- University of Texas School of Law, Fundamentals of Insurance - 2011